The project to develop the Queens Park High school boathouse aims to maximise the benefit of the River Dee for local communities and enhance the quality and quantity of water-sports.
Strategic context for this project is:
- Urban Land Institute Report 2010 which identifies the River Dee in the top ten assets of Chester with potential
- Chester’s One City Plan 2012 strategic 15 year programme for development “recreational uses along the River Dee and its waterfront will be encouraged and supported”
- Chester Waterways Strategy 2014 with a priority action “to support where possible the development of new community water-sports facility”
- British Rowing has identified the River Dee as a strategic priority for the enhancement of rowing.
- 2011 Chester Characterisation Study identifies the existing QPHS boathouse as a ‘key detractor’ and forms a poor first impression at a key visible city centre site which demonstrates a need for improvement
Download the relating documents below: