Cheshire West and Chester Council wants to develop a Community Watersports Hub on the Dee, in partnership with local and national watersports groups. This proposal is a key priority in the Chester Waterways Strategy that was published in Spring 2014.
The council believes that the Community Watersports Hub will bring significant health and educational benefits to Chester and the borough.
- maximising the potential of the River Dee as a key asset for the whole city.
- expanding and enhancing the opportunities for watersport activities on the Dee.
- helping people keep fit and healthy.
The preferred location for the Community Watersports Hub is the existing boat house near Queens Park High School. The council owns this site and believes it has a lot of potential for expansion and improvement. The council has ruled out selling this land.
The council will work in partnership with local and national watersports groups to develop a scheme that is viable and feasible. Queen’s Park High School, British Rowing and British Canoeing have already agreed to support the project.
We want to make sure that the Community Watersports Hub:
- is designed and developed through a partnership approach.
- delivers benefits to a broad cross section of the community.
- will still be available to pupils and students at Queen’s Park High School.
- is safe for everybody to use.