Cheshire West and Chester Council wants to develop a Community Watersports Hub on the Dee, in partnership with local and national watersports groups. This proposal is a key priority in the Chester Waterways Strategy that was published in Spring 2014.
The council believes that the Community Watersports Hub will bring significant health and educational benefits to Chester and the borough.
- maximising the potential of the River Dee as a key asset for the whole city.
- expanding and enhancing the opportunities for watersport activities on the Dee.
- helping people keep fit and healthy.
The preferred location for the Community Watersports Hub is the existing boat house near Queens Park High School. The council owns this site and believes it has a lot of potential for expansion and improvement. The council has ruled out selling this land.
The council will work in partnership with local and national watersports groups to develop a scheme that is viable and feasible. Queen’s Park High School, British Rowing and British Canoeing have already agreed to support the project.
We want to make sure that the Community Watersports Hub:
- is designed and developed through a partnership approach.
- delivers benefits to a broad cross section of the community.
- will still be available to pupils and students at Queen’s Park High School.
- is safe for everybody to use.
The council has set up a steering group to bring together all the main organisations that have a direct interest in designing, funding and running the new Community Watersports Hub. This Group is now preparing a project plan to bring together all the key strands of this project, e.g. business case, funding plan, scheme design,planning, etc.
The council hopes that the new hub will open in 2016.
The steering group has agreed to publish regular position statements about the progress of the scheme. The council will be launching a communications and engagement programme early in the New Year to:
- raise awareness of the project;
- keep people informed of what is happening;
- explain how they can find out more information.
Formal consultation about specific details of the project will be dealt with as part of the process for seeking planning approval.
For more information about the Community Watersports Hub, please contact:
Sean Daley, Chester Locality Team
Mobile: 07786 312771